Thursday, July 12, 2007

A Meme By Another Name

I've done the random meme that was emailed me or tagged on my blog doorstep. They can be fun and sometimes borderline therapy.

However, this particular meme took some thought and more introspection that any of its predecessors.

Figs Olives Wine was tagged and virtually tagged all food bloggers. Am I a food blogger?

I had to think about that. I blog about food occasionally, more so lately than in the first year or so. Maybe it is because I've become more obsessive about what I cook and prepare.

I have matured in the food realm of my life. Some chefs or food snobs might say my palette has matured, but it is more than just that. My awareness of what is available has matured and the expectations placed upon me has changed.

You see I was raised in the house and generation where you have one meat, one vegetable, and one starch at every meal.

All veggies?
All starches?
No meat?
Bring me my elixir - I have the vapors.

Over the past year I have allowed myself to serve appetizers for dinner - just appetizers. Of course with this maturity and evolution I now call them tapas.

We love having tapas for dinner. Even if it is just one type because cooking several types just for two people leaves lots of leftovers.

I honestly wasn't cognitive of this change until my parents were here this past weekend and as I prepared meals I found myself checking off - meat, veggies, starch. I felt turmoil inside when I wanted to serve rice and potatoes in the same meal. I couldn't do it - not serve my mother two starches, even if one had veggies in it.

Why do we as daughters need to please our mothers so? That is an entirely different post for a later date - much later.

So here is my meme - seven random food observations in my life:

1) Ten years ago I would have laughed if you told me I would pay over $10 a pound of for ham (prosciutto) and $25.00 for a small bottle of vinegar (balsamic).

2) I don't like fish that isn't square and breaded - I don't. I don't....mmmm great trout (thanks Dana).

3) Cool Whip is just as good as homemade whipped cream - NOT! (see previous post).

4) I remember (gulp) serving veggie sticks and ranch dip from the bottle as appetizers in my past - and felt proud of it. Now it is gazpacho, prosciutto rolls and decadent macaroni and cheese.

5) I can't drink tap water. I'm not sure that is food related or more germophobic. We had a water dispenser in our frig at the previous house that was filtered. I could drink that. As a kid or even teenager, hell even until my 20's - tap water was all I drank.

6) Goat cheese? Ick! Sounds nasty. - Boy was I wrong.

7) "Bacon, schmacon. They are all the same." Oh no sister, they are not. On a normal day we eat turkey bacon. But on special occasions or when I discover it in a new locale - I buy Boars Head Bacon. It truly is the best real bacon. It better be for $5.99 a pound. I have some at home right now - I am thinking Bacon Date Almond Wraps, or Carolina Pork Tenderloin Pinwheels or...

I guess I am a food blogger.

2 comments:

MysteryGirl said...

A big part of my cooking anxiety of 2006 was that I was raised in the same kind of house! Every meal was just like that. I, for some strange reason thought I had to replicate that. Boy was I wrong and I only just started to realize it.
I love your tapas idea!

Melody said...

When I tell my mother about different dishes I make - I can almost hear her audible shock over the phone.

I envision her thoughts to be...

"macaroni and cheese - just macaroni and cheese for dinner"

Of course she doesn't realize that it isn't bluebox mac and cheese - but four cheese with prosciutto. It isn't that I didn't tell her - it just doesn't mean anything to her.

I don't say this to insinuate my mother isn't a good cook or by any means is stupid - just a different generation and different expectations from a wife/mother/woman...what have you.

I just keep thinking of The Joy Luck Club. Great movie. I need to watch it again.