Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Perfect Day For A Party

Last night was the dinner party for our friends who are adopting a gorgeous baby girl, Avery. They have made the first trip to Nepal and are just waiting for the word to come back and get her. Anxiously waiting.

I could not have ordered weather better than we got. We set the table, chairs and bar out in the grass under the tree because the sun, though not hot, was quite bright and glaring.
What a great evening. I don't get to visit with these girls but once or twice a year anymore which seems so odd because we used to have adjoining offices. All three of us in a row and almost always ate lunch together, shopped, etc.

Left: Stephanie - Right: Lisa (the anxiously waiting mom)

It is hard when you change jobs and move away to stay in touch. I am inspired by SourPuss, Idiots Rule, Allygator Alley, and I Want My Candy Back. Though not geographically close they maintain. You girls rock.

Anyway, back to the party -- The menu:The appetizers turned out great. The gazpacho was wonderful. I have to admit - I'm not a tomato juice fan and I loved this. It was so light and so refreshing. I will be making this again.

The Mac'N Cheese bite was a hit - though they wanted to know where the rest was hidden. They knew I hadn't just made six bites. I think I could have sold it - but I had it tagged for our lunch today - so sorry Charlie. The cheeses I used were manchego, fontina, and a mild cheddar.

Prosciutto Twists are easy and a frequent munchie at our house.

The entree was a hit. The Polenta Cakes w/goat cheese was to die for. I made the polenta, spread in pan and let chill in frig for a couple hours. Then I cut them in rounds, fried in butter til brown and served with a small dollup of goat cheese and a couple drops of good balsamic. Again, will be doing that again.

The Balsamic Glazed Carrots is a recipe I make very often. It is fast and very good. A different way of serving carrots. I first found it in a Southern Living magazine. This is the best link I could find for it online.I do have bad news. I forgot to take a picture of the dessert. It looked great. The bananas and brown sugar caramelized so well.

I have to say though, chocolate creme brulee is just not as good as vanilla creme brulee. I will definitely be repeating the banana topping on a vanilla creme brulee, but probably won't be making chocolate again. It was like eating pudding. There was a different texture and not that "oh my god" wonderful creme brulee joy.

We built a fire in the fire pit and visited for hours, drinking wine and having fun. Something we do not do often enough.

Cheers!

7 comments:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Ah-HEM! Recipes? Anyone?

It looks like a great time, and after eating a can of green beans for lunch (I need to grocery shop), I'm green (bean) with envy over that yummy food.

Just bought a fire-bowl last weekend; love sitting around the fire. I'm glad you had a great time, and can hardly wait to hear about baby girl coming home.

Melody said...

LOL - I went back and added links to the recipes with a little more info about prep. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

So ... mac for lunch ... you *did* bring enough to share didn't you? ;)

Melody said...

Would love to, but...uh...hum, I'm...uh...am working from home today - yes working from home. :-))

MysteryGirl said...

As usual, I want to come and kill you when I not only read about your creations, but then I see the pics. This is just too much.

I'm hungry...which makes it all so much worse.

Melody said...

MysteryGirl - Just move to KY and you are always invited!

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

oh boy, thanks!