Saturday, January 07, 2012

German Pancake Breakfast

I realize I haven't posted much about food lately. I really did bake some over the holidays but I failed to photograph or write about it. My bad.


This morning I made Mini German Pancakes from this recipe. Now, the dangers in giving you the link for what I based my dish on is that you get to see how mine looks nothing like theirs. Whatever!

Let me start by saying I halved the recipe and ended up with 11 pancakes. They are thin, like a crepe. Basically, they are a puffy crepe. So 3-4 per person is a good serving portion.

Let me also confess my mistake. I melted the butter in the microwave but forgot to add it to the batter. I found it about 4 minutes into the baking time. So I spooned melted butter on top. I figured what the hell, how could something be ruined with melted butter on it? Seriously, what isn't better with butter?

I think the only problem that caused was they stuck a little, despite me spraying the hell out of the muffin tins, and they were a little mis-shapened because they had started to poof when I poured the butter on.

The sauce I made from scratch and in my head. I had some frozen blackberries (thanks Mom) so I nuked them and started them cooking with some sugar, salt and tangerine zest/juice. My only mistake here was I should have pureed and strained the seeds before it got so thick. I waited too long and the sauce was nice and thick so getting the seeds out was a pain in the you know what. I hate seeds in my fruit sauces.



But it tasted freakin' fantastic! Seriously, I am going to do this again and use it for ice cream, cheesecakes - you just never know where it will show up again.

In the end, both of our plates were wiped clean and the salty bacon I served with it was a nice contrast. I will definitely do this again.

No comments: