Sunday, July 12, 2009

Marriage Tester

At our home in Scottsburg, we finished our basement all by ourselves. Well, really David much of it, but I helped as I could considering I had three eye surgeries that summer.

We sectioned off two rooms - one as a storage/display room for his models and one as a project room for me that also served as a guest bedroom. The rest of the basement was left "raw" as storage and a tool area.

In my project room we decided to put metal ceiling tiles up - they were gorgeous. With bead board walls and toille fabric, it gave a very quaint, antiquey feel to the room.

But it was a "bit**" to install. At no point in our marriage have we ever come that close to a divorce. Maybe it was because it was at the end of the project and we were both tired and/or because we go at projects differently - but either way - it was bad.

We often refer to it as "divorce in a box".

I recently discovered these metal tiles and would love to put them on an accent wall in our dining room. I think it would make a contemporary statement and liven up a fairly homogeneous space.

But can our marriage endure this project?

3 comments:

Sierra said...

Oh boy, projects are super hard with my boyfriend. I hope your project with your husband goes well! I love your banner - did you make it in Photoshop? It looks amazing! Welcome to SITS!

La Vita e BELLA - Life is Beautiful said...

Is David wanting to do the project again? Do you think you have learned from the first time around that you wont make the same mistakes? This project might go smoother than before or it might dig up old feelings.

Melody said...

oceandreams: the banner was a photo that a fantastic webdesigner made into a header for me - i love it!

lveb: I haven't asked David, but this project is different. It is basically tiling with grout on the wall vs. hanging metal (razor blade edged) ceiling tiles. He does want to do something to that wall - we have discussed that much.