Sunday, July 19, 2009

Dually Employed

After I got divorced, I took a second job (part-time) in a retail store to make ends meet. After about a year of doing that I decided to go back to school (pulling a full time schedule) and get my bachelors so I wouldn't have to do that forever.

For about 3 years I did all three, and it was okay. It only got difficult when the social things, i.e. dating, started. Shortly after David and I met I quit the second job to allow time to actually date.

Of course, a couple years after that I completed my degree and life became "normal" again.

Lately, I have been considering taking a part-time job again. Nothing challenging or career-motivating, just a simple retail job to pull in some extra cash.

Work has already taken our pay raises away for the next year and we've already done one furlough. I won't be surprised if more of those show up in the next year.

So that takes a hard dent into any disposable income you might already have. And to be honest, I am sick of being in debt.

So today I start a second job. I will be cashiering on the weekends at my local CVS. I chose there to apply because they are literally a mile up the road - I could walk if I had to or wanted.

Plus the discount I get there will actually help with household items versus creating another income drain by say working at Pier One or Kohl's or Home Depot.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

C.G. the Foodie said...

Good luck!!! I can totally feel you on the employment overload pains.

Kim said...

Best of luck - I too have thought of doing that but can't stand the idea of working weekends - I'm spoiled I guess :)