Wednesday, July 16, 2008

More Wine and More Winos

The following day we went to two more wineries. The first was Kunde Estate Winery.


It was a gorgeous day and I don't think I could ever tire of looking at the vineyards.

For those of you who don' t know, estate wineries are wineries that grow their own grapes. Most people assume that wineries grow their own, but that isn't true. A large percentage buy their grapes in from vineyards who grow for others and sometimes their self as well.




Kunde also practices sustainable wine growing. This is becoming more and more popular as you can imagine.

There are several levels of organic/sustainability - with the ultimate being biodynamic. I learned from Larissa who does marketing for Benzinger Wines that they are biodynamic wine growing, though we didn't make it to the winery for tasting.

Biodynamic is described as not only farming organically but proactively taking measures to help future crops by adding to the soil or not taking from it. My August copy of Food & Wine that arrived a few days after I returned home had several articles regarding this - very interesting and informative if you want to learn more.

Ironically when I got home I found I had a bottle of Benzinger chardonnay unopened in my frig - either a gift or bought for a party that I didn't use. Now I will.

Back to Kunde wines, they were good. I tasted both white and red. For the most part they were light and crisp - not anything spectacular though. Again, may be totally different with food.

Someone said to me before I left that my head might not learn much about wines but my tongue would learn something. It was at this point I was beginning to understand that statement. I can't tell you why, but I just knew I didn't care for them.


Next stop - Chateau St. Jean.


Hint: I bought wine here.

No comments: