Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Empowering Women and Tomatoes

I have never been a fan of fried green tomatoes, the food, not the movie. The movie I liked. Any move that empowers women to take matters in their own hands is a good movie. Of course, that doesn't mean I condone barbecuing your enemies. That is just, well... rude. And gross.

Back to the food. Tonight I made fried green tomatoes - my way. Sliced thin, seasoned, dredged in flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.



Then I took the same mixture and added some lemon juice and beer. It foams up and makes a pancake-like batter.


Dip your tomatoes into the batter for complete coverage and fry up in a skillet with heated oil. It only takes a few minutes each side.



Now, you could just eat these as is and it would be fine. More than fine.

But you know me...I couldn't leave it alone.

I fried good bacon. Real good bacon.

I toasted fresh sliced ciabatta bread, lightly.

I made a garlic balsamic fig aoili - literally just mixed up stuff in the frig (balsamic vinegar, mayonnaise, brown mustard, fig preserves, fresh cracked pepper and minced garlic).



Do you see where I am going with this? Now some may call it a BLT, but I had no lettuce in the house and really, what could lettuce offer to this party?




I call it Bacon Tomato Royale.

No comments: