Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bloomsday Musings

More musings from my genius friend.
Happy Bloomsday to all you James Joyce fans. As you’re no doubt aware, the entire book Ulysses takes place on one day, June 16, 1904 (which coincidentally is the day that Joyce met his future wife, Nora). The protagonist of the novel is Leopold Bloom. Each year, rabid Joyce fans celebrate the day by commemorating events from the novel. Being the good Irish folk they are, for some people the day involves drinking a fair amount of Guinness. You are, by now, acutely aware that I am, to put it delicately, loquacious, verbose, wordy, rambling, long-winded, talkative—just your run-of-the-mill Chatty Cathy; however, I’m not sure I could draw one day out into 500+ pages containing 265,000 words. Have I read Ulysses? Of course not. Trivial matters like that would never prevent me from pontificating on subjects I know nothing about. In the interest of full disclosure, I learned about 90% of what I know about Bloomsday from an episode of The Simpsons entitled In the Name of the Grandfather. In that episode, the family takes a trip to Dublin so Grandpa Simpson can relive the greatest night of his life spent at O’Flanagan’s Pub. I am like a sponge. I yearn for knowledge, and I’m none too picky about where I get it.


Daily affirmation: If life gives you melons, you may have dyslexia.

No comments: