Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Impressions

I consider myself a good judge of character. I would conservatively give myself a 75% accuracy rate on first impressions of people. After the first impression, that rate increases closer to 99%.

Some people I interact with never fail to reveal their self as exactly what I took from our very first meeting. Most of the time that is disappointing. I would like to be wrong. I would like it if you proved to me that you were a nice person, a person who considered other people's feelings once in a while, or maybe someone who actually thought of someone else occasionally.

Sometimes it sucks being right.

1 comment:

Lori Stewart Weidert said...

Interesting subject. I don't know how accurate I am because I have a tendency to like most people, and justify their bad behavior if they have it, which, admittedly, is not always a constructive trait for one to have. It bites me in the butt or it doesn't.

However, if I meet someone and instantly dislike them, I have absolutely no reservations for finding them evil with no other cause than my gut instinct. No one is "entitled" to my friendship, and if I sense that I should run, I'm running. I have never, so far, been wrong, as far as I know. If I have been, so what? I'd rather be safe than right.