Monday, June 02, 2008

We're In A Pickle

dooce microsoft obama clinton iraq lohan ben affleck brad pitt paris hilton
Wonder where that saying came from? I looked it up and according to UsingEnglish.com, it is an idiom that means "you are in some trouble or a mess".

And then I found a whole slew of idioms:

A hitch in your giddy-up
If you have a hitch in your giddy-up, you're not feeling well.

A lick and a promise
If you give something a lick and a promise, you do it hurriedly, most often incompletely, intending to return to it later.

A poor man's something
Something or someone that can be compared to something or someone else, but is not as good is a poor man's version; a writer who uses lots of puns but isn't very funny would be a poor man's Oscar Wilde.

Hobson's choice
A Hobson's choice is something that appears to be a free choice, but is really no choice as there is no genuine alternative.

Honky dory
If something is hunky dory, it is perfectly satisfactory, fine.

Rice missionary
A rice missionary gives food to hungry people as a way of converting them to Christianity.

But I digress, I still didn't know where the idiom came from.

So I continued searching and found phrases.org.uk - Bingo!

Wonder where bingo came from?

2 comments:

nejyerf said...

hitch in your giddy-up is one of my all time favorite expressions and i don't think it gets used nearly enough.

Melody said...

maybe I should make that my "phrase" of the day and see how many times I can use it?