Sunday, May 11, 2008

Retraction

I am not too small of a person to admit when I made a mistake. Painful as it may be, I can do it.

About a year ago I shared with you my secret for great sweet potato fries.

I was wrong.

These are sooo much better - waaaay better.

In my June issue of Cook's Country, they took on the challenge to making crispy, flavorful sweet potato fries.

Crispy is the hard part.

They met that challenge victoriously.

These are crispy, easy to make and full of flavor. The secret?

Cornstarch.

Try them today.

P.S. I would just link you to the recipe but they require you to pay an additional subscription for the online version of the magazine. Doesn't that suck? I already pay for the printed version. I may not be renewing my subscription for this particular magazine. I have too many others that give you both options for one subscription fee.


Crispy Sweet Potato Fries

1/2 t. chili powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/2 t. cayenne pepper
1 t. salt
2 T. brown sugar

Mix these ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat up your deep fryer to 375 or heat oil (about 2 qts.) in a large dutch oven style pot.

While oil is heating, whisk 1 cup cornstarch and 3/4 c. chilled club soda until smooth.

Peel and cut 2 large sweet potatoes in strips no thicker than 1/2".

Put half your strips into the cornstarch mixture and then put them into a strainer over the sink to allow for the excess to drain.

When oil is ready, fry that batch until golden brown and crisp - about 5 mins.

Place on baking sheet and sprinkle with half of the spice mixture and toss. You can place the baking sheet in the oven at 200 to keep warm between batches.

Let oil reheat to 375 and repeat with the second batch.

I like to serve these with smokey honey in shot glasses to dip.

Heat 1/2 c. honey and 4 drops of liquid smoke over low heat until thinned and warm. Pour into shot glasses and serve with fries.

Enjoy!

No comments: