Sunday, April 15, 2007

Foodie Overload

I didn't start this blog as a food blog, but this past week it seems to be all I post about.

I got a surge of creativity and energy in the kitchen this weekend. I am sure it won't last and we'll be back to take-out this week, but it was nice. I just wish I could remember to take pictures before we eat.

For lunch I made a beefsteak tomato and grilled asparagus salad. Mine had a simple olive oil vinagrette and the hubby added crumbled Danish blue cheese and blue cheese dressing to his.

The piece de resistance was a baked macaroni and cheese with fives cheeses and prosciutto with a panko crumb coat. I made just enough for two ramekins that was bubbly good after the salad. I love spring and the food it brings.

So for dinner, I made (defined as baked already made fresh ones from the deli) shredded beef and cheese empanadas and sweet potato fries. If anyone has tried homemade sweet potato fries before and not been happy with the results, I'll share a secret trick I learned - actually a series of tricks.

1) Soak the fries in ice water for about five minutes after cutting into fries.
2) Drain and dry very well.
3) Toss in flour (rice flour preferably), very lightly. Basically to remove moisture.
4) Fry for a few minutes until it starts to crisp then remove and drain.
5) Allow to sit for a few minutes while you are finishing the entire batch.
6) Then fry them again for a couple minutes. It is the second frying that keeps them crisp.

My seasoning was a mix of salt, sugar, cinnamon, cayenne, and allspice.

Very, very good.

3 comments:

MysteryGirl said...

I'm totally fine with you posting all about food. It makes me very hungry though. Just the mere mention of your macaroni and cheese makes me salivate. It is in my top 5 favorite foods. I hardly ever make it myself but when I do I use Emeril's recipe. Yours definitely sounds better.
Oh and don't even get me started on the beefsteak tomato and grilled asparagus salad. That sounds to die for.
Your husband is very lucky. Keep posting about food. Maybe I will get inspired someday!

Melody said...

My husband says he is the addict and I am the dealer.

For our anniversary, I got a new set of cookware and the biggest baddest KitchenAid mixer they make. I wore my other one out in just seven years. This one is the professinal industrial model

Some women might be upset to get such items for an anniversary gift - not me.

Lisa said...

I adore empanadas. Shredded beef and cheese - yum. And great tips on the fries. I'll have to try that. I've heard that double-frying regular French fries is the way to go, too.