Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Observations From The Lone Star State

Yes friends, I am in Texas - Dallas to be specific. It is for work but still nice to have a little retreat to myself. Take-out and a good book in a hotel room by yourself can sometimes be nirvana.

Would I want to do this forever? Of course not. But I'll take a respite where I can get it.

Things I've learned:


Not unique to Texas but still as irritating, folks think everyone else enjoys their children as much as they do. Sitting alone in a restaurant trying to enjoy a peaceful meal while someones 3 year old is playing with my hair behind me. Mom? "oh honey, that lady doesn't want you to do that". Did she stop her? Nooooo. It was so cuuuuute. Ick!

Either everything really is bigger in Texas or men stuff their pants with socks. Maybe it is the jeans? I swear I am not looking intentionally - they are that noticeable.

How hard is it to turn your cell phone off or on vibrate? I sat in a room full of professionals - not teenagers in the cinema - professionals who are supposed to know better. No less than dozen phones rang in the four hours. Each time I heard - "oops sorry". Like the first time someone else's went off it didn't occur to you to check yours. My phone rang twice during the session, but I had it on vibrate and in my purse. No one was the wiser.

The rental car company did not have the boring mid-size car I reserved. So I was given at no additional cost, a convertible Mustang. Cool? You would think. Personally I have found it a little irritating. They are loud and I've squealed my tires more times than I care to count. I'm not used to rear wheel drive. I actually put the top down this evening. Not sure I'm missing much.

I've always heard things are bigger in Texas and I've observed that folks talk slower here with that Texas drawl. However, apparently they have fast sex here. The picture sucks but it was my camera phone hanging out the window. New franchise opportunity!

3 comments:

mistylea said...

Oh, crap. As opposed to "comdoms to use here"?!?! Oh, better one, "Condoms by the Hour".
I have never been to Texas, but I am voting for the socks embelishment option. I reallllly enjoy getting away on business trips, expecially when it is being paid for by someone other than me. Do I miss the girls? Yes, but it makes me a better person to get away. I only wish I could do it more. It has been years since I have been sent anywhere! I am begging around here! But until i get the promotion they keep dangling in front of me I doubt I get to go on any trips. Management is required to be in your title for field trips.
Misty :)

nejyerf said...

ooooh texas.

does everyone wear a cowboy hat?

and i KNOW you were checking those guys out. are the jeans tight and the belt buckles big?

i've always wanted to drive a mustang convertible and lt my hair blow in the breeze.

squeal some tire for me!!

Melody said...

Dallas definitely odd. I lived in the southwest for six years (Phoenix) and it was not like Dallas. I can't explain it.

However, take out and a good book in a hotel anywhere ain't bad my friends.

Oh and the meetings were good too.

Sorry Jen, very few cowboy hats. And many of those "sock padding pokes" were visiting the conference from elsewhere so who knows?