Sunday, October 02, 2011

Moment of Inspiration



I had an epiphany. No solution to the energy crisis here or path to world peace, but I like it when pieces of my life come together and make sense.

I have been craving cinnamon rolls. You already know this if you follow me on Facebook or work with me (yes, I am referring to you). The craving didn't pass in a few days so I had to do something about it. I starting perusing cinnamon roll recipes when I recognized a common denominator. The dough recipes were all very similar to my mother's yeast roll recipe I use at every holiday. Its official name is Golden Cake Bread and was a $250,000 Pillsbury recipe sometime in the 50's. I know why. It really is that good.

So I made cinnamon rolls using the yeast roll recipe for the dough and filled them with all things good - butter, walnuts, cinnamon, sugar, and more butter.





I let the dough raise twice and then rolled the dough out and filled it, sliced and loaded them into 2 - 9x13 pans. Covered them with plastic and put in frig. This morning when my husband got up at the crack of dawn, he found a note on the refrigerator that asked him every so sweetly to set rolls out on the counter. Okay, it wasn't really sweet, it just said "put rolls on counter". But he knew what his reward would be so he followed directions. Sometimes he does this. Sometimes he doesn't.


Then brush with butter, again.
Put in refrigerator overnight, or you can let them raise at this point. I let them raise in the morning for a couple hours and then baked at 350 for about 25 mins.






Oh. Oh. Oh.

These were so yummy topped with cream cheese icing while they were still warm so it melted and got all gooey. It makes a lot of rolls. So I packed up some for my friend Kat, who just became a first time grandma this weekend and some for my friend Charlotte who was lending me some tables for my rummage sale. Charlotte adopted Toby last year so as a bonus, we got to love on him when we picked up tables and dropped off rolls. AND being the wonderful person she is, she sent me home some Lemon Blossoms of which I've never had before but fell in immediately love with. It is like a pastry swap - OMG! Wouldn't that be a fantastic thing?

---------------------------------
Golden Cake Bread

1 package Active Dry Yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 t. sugar

1 cup hot scalded milk
1 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar

2 slightly beaten eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon salt

4 to 4 1/2 cups flour

In a small bowl or measuring cup, proof the yeast in the warm water and sugar.

Combine the milk, butter and sugar in a large bowl and allow to cool to lukewarm.

Stir in 2 slightly beaten eggs, the vanilla, salt and yeast mixture.

Gradually add the flour to form a stiff batter, beating well after each addition. Cover and allow to rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Beat down the dough and let it rise again until doubled in size, about 3/4 hour.

Divide the dough into rolls and put in well greased 9x13 inch pan. Let rise in warm place, about 3/4 hour.

Bake in a 350*F oven 25 to 30 minutes until golden brown.

No comments: