Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Culinary Creations

Most of the time when I cook I either make old favorites that I don't need a recipe for or try new recipes I've found in cookbooks, food blogs, etc. But once in awhile I just take ingredients that I have and think "let's see if this works". Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

This one did.


I had sweet cherries and avocados so I made salsa. It was so good. Combined with some red onion, sweet red bell pepper, and fresh parsley, it was the perfect combination of sweet and savory.

Served with grilled chicken and the other amazing culinary creation that my husband gets total credit for - prosciutto potatoes.


We were dining at an Italian restaurant lately and had ordered some garlic mashed potatoes. When they were served he thought the red skins were prosciutto and was disappointed to find out different.

That inspired me to create the second dish. Yukon Gold mashed potatoes with crispy prosciutto added. The secret to the great taste was to crispy the prosciutto in a little olive oil and then add butter and some cream or 1/2 and 1/2, heat until melted and warm. Add this to your mashed potatoes at the end. It adds great flavor and creaminess.



Let me just say that these potatoes were like crack. In fact, I'm making them again tonight with the Sweet and Spicy Braised Short Ribs that are cooking as we speak. [Insert evil laugh here.]

No comments: