Thursday, March 11, 2010

Stress Relievers

Life is life and with it brings periods of stress. I'm waist deep in what will be a flood of stress over the next few months at work, again. Same old story. Not enough money. Must cut services. Which of course equals must cut jobs.

I'm not usually the type of person directly affected by this type of stress. I have a Scarlet O'Hara attitude that saves me from fussing about things. I don't worry today about what might happen tomorrow. If it happens, I'll worry about it then.

For whatever reason, this one is affecting me more than ever before. In my position, it is important for me to keep a happy face and attitude to other staff, and I guess because I internalize it (ignore it), it is manifesting itself physically. The doctor asked "are you under more stress than normal lately?" I literally laughed, and then cried.

I'm sure he now thinks I am a nut case.

So I went online to find ways to reduce stress. This is the list that I found:

  1. Guided Imagery
  2. Self-Hypnosis
  3. Autogenics
  4. Journaling
  5. Meditation
  6. Progressive Muscle Relaxation
  7. Yoga
  8. Breathing
  9. Playing Games
  10. Sex
  11. Laughter
  12. Biofeedback
  13. Music Therapy
  14. Take a Walk
  15. Plant a Garden
  16. Time Management
  17. Listen To Music
  18. Eat a Balanced Diet
  19. Learn Assertive Communication Skills
  20. Enjoy Aromatherapy
  21. Reduce Caffeine Intake
  22. Drink in Moderation
  23. Don’t Procrastinate
  24. Drink Green Tea

My observations about this list:

  1. Why is sex all the way down to #10 on the list?
  2. Drink in Moderation seems to be counterproductive.
  3. Drinking green tea? Give me a break.
  4. Reduce Caffeine Intake? It is the only thing keeping me going each day.
  5. Learn Assertive Communication Skills? I don't think that is the problem.
  6. Journaling - isn't that what I am already doing...right now?

I know I am being cynical and there are some things on the list that I know will help. And one that I am surprised is not there - exercise. I need to exhaust my body so it matches my brain.

No comments: