Thursday, January 21, 2010

My Mama

My mother and step-father came to visit us on Sunday. This is sad, but it was the first time I've seen her since August. Between both works and my illnesses inconveniently arriving at holidays, it has been awhile.

It was nice to visit with them and share a meal. We actually exchanged Christmas gifts since that was a holiday we missed.

But the sad part was how different she looked. Throughout the illness last year, she lost about 65 pounds. It is still startling to me when I look at her or hug her, how little she is. She isn't emaciated or sickly looking -- she is probably at the weight she should be -- but losing that weight so fast and the dehydration caused by the illness has caused her to look so much older.

She reminds me so much of my grandmother now, both in looks and actions. I know that means I am looking at my own future since I favor them both already. Maybe that is what makes me saddest.

Don't get me wrong, I am pleased as punch that she made it through this and seems to be doing pretty good. I guess it is the reality of my age and her age that hurts.

Please, for those of you who know and see my mama, don't say anything. It would hurt her feelings.

No comments: