Saturday, June 06, 2009

Commencement Cupcakes

My nephew James graduated today. We'll not talk about how old that makes me feel.

I volunteered the celebratory cake or per my discretion, cupcakes. Inspired by Bakerella once again, this was the final product.




Four types of cupcakes were baked: vanilla, chocolate, butter pecan, and red velvet. All adorned by real buttercream frosting (if they wanted crisco in it, it would be called criscocream - not near as appealing, hey?) and a chocolate hat.


These weren't hard to make, but I did make 7 dozen so it took a little time. The fact that I felt like crap in the final stretch didn't help, but they were completed on time. Yeah!

8 comments:

La Vita e Bella said...

So Funny....I just told cCody...Mel is making cupcakes for tonight. Lets take a look at them...I already knew they would be on here so we could get a preview before tonight.
I WAS RIGHT!!!

Melody said...

I didn't realize I was that predictable. I must shake up my routine more.

See you soon.

Kim said...

Amazing - you are such a nice aunt to make 7 dozen! Sheesh I am not that nice - 1 or 2 dozen maybe :P

Melody said...

To be perfectly honest, when she said 7-8 dozen I thought she was counting on too many people showing and eating. I reminded her it was a day of grad parties and most people had already been at one or two and eaten several times.

But I made 86 to be exact. And there was not one left over. In fact, she grabbed the last one when she realized it was the last as she hadn't even had one.

It was a great turnout and a great time.

La Vita e BELLA - Life is Beautiful said...

Yes, they was so good I had two. There goes my diet for that day.

mistylea said...

They were beautiful and yummy. What a great Aunt you are. If was wonderful to see you in person too!

Melody said...

la vita: the second one had no calories

mistylea: right back at ya!

Anonymous said...

What a fun (and yummy!) alternative to the "graduation cake" debacle. Thank you for sharing your creative idea !

Val :-)
Concord, CA