Thursday, July 03, 2008

San Jose Food Review

My two weeks away was filled with many things. I'll recap by topic, not sequentially.

Are you surprised that I am starting with food? I thought not.

My time in San Jose involved a couple of great meals and lots of snacking. The scheduling and my exhaustion after long days was not conducive to fine dining. So besides instant oatmeal for breakfast and those times when I grabbed whatever was close for dinner, I ate at two memorable restaurants.

The first was Original Joe's. I actually ate here twice. It is a bustling, mob-retro type restaurant where you can sit at a table/booth or at the counter where you have front row seat to the charcoal grill, hot grill, and pasta station. Both times I ate at the counter as I was by myself.

My first meal was cheese ravioli and it was good. Nothing remarkable, just good pasta and good marinara with crunchy bread to scoop up the gravy. Finished with a glass of Riesling. I slept well that night.

My second meal was very remarkable. I had the best steak I have ever had AND the best baked potato. It was the filet mignon and done to perfection.

If you are in San Jose, definitely stop at Original Joe's. You might even hear a waiter sing a song.

The second restaurant I visited twice as well for lunch. It was McCormicks & Schmick's Seafood. They have several locations across the US.

I had Fish & Chips at one meal, which was great. Portions are huge and tasty. The second meal I partook of pecan encrusted tilapia on rice with a butter rum sauce. Very tasty.

I'll finish out the food topic with my dining experiences in wine country next.

Bon Appetit!

No comments: