Thursday, August 17, 2006

Cakes, Candles & Wine



Today is my birthday. As I ponder this one in comparison the previous 40, I notice some differences.
  • No cake. Wonder why? I can't remember the last time I actually had a birthday cake. I enjoy it now as much as I did when I was 10.
  • No candles. Thank God. But it did add to the cake and party.
  • I started to say no song, but my mother just called and sang Happy Birthday to me. That was nice.
  • Expectations. I don't want to sound like I am whining, but I am always disappointed even when I try really hard to have none. My husband isn't the "surprise" type and I'm not sure I am either. I am however, a special moments person. At the end of the day, it just wasn't special.
  • Presents. Most people give cash and my husband will give me something nice, but no moments where there are wrapped gifts waiting to be opened to disclose their secret contents.
  • Knowing that there are so many things to be thankful for and how what we used to take for granted is now a gift. I guess we trade this for the confetti and streamers, and that is okay with me.
  • Wine. I won't be trading this in. Cheers!

6 comments:

Nina said...

Happy Birthday, fellow Indiana resident. I see you went to "Sandcreek"? What year did you graduate?
So many questions...
Drink a glass of wine for me, too.

Christine said...

~*~*~*~*~HaPpY bIrThDaY~*~*~*~*~*

Great post. I loved the song too!

Dora said...

I recently wrote of my birthday and I can totally relate to the feelings that you shared.
That day is YOUR day and it's important for those close to you to do "something" to recognize and honor the fact that you were born and they are happy about that. It's even tougher when you do that for others all year long and then get left shortchanged. It's not like they get a chance to make it up tomorrow, is it?

Dott Comments said...

Happy day (a little late)!

I had no idea. This workplace sucks for celebratory stuff.

We need cake.

Melody said...

Everyone is so sweet. Thank you, thank you.

You are too sweet. Thanks so much.

I had plans of reading a long awaited and borrowed)book with a glass of wine. However, my day actually went like this:

Sweep kitchen.
Mop kitchen.
Blog.
Wait on building supply store to deliver deck materials.
Go to bank.
Go to get oil changed in my car.
Tanned while waiting.
Waited some more.
Went to Walmart (you know my day has peaked at this point).
Get home at 3pm and have my first drop of food all day.
Actually sit down and watch some television for an hour.
Laundry.
Go to basement and begin to unpack boxes and organize closet in project room.
Husband comes home.
Work outside for 1 1/2 hours on deck.
Die of heat exhaustion, almost.
Reheat chili for supper.
Shower.
Open presents from hubby.
Go to bed.

How exciting.

Cory said...

Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I'm a little late.